Any, even the most up-to-date software platforms have a tendency to dry the disk over time, and Windows is no exception. The time files created by LOs and various applications, the duplicates of system libraries, shadow copies, logs, historical files, patches, amphibians, web page caches and other garbage -- all of which dig up and grow up like a snowcom, ultimately beating free space on any volume storage device. It is not worth much but it is not worth it: there are simple ways to quickly clear the computer's disk memory of the trash without removing the right data and the risk of damaging the computer.
1. Use of Windows-based disk cleaning tools. The most efficient and secure option for use will need to be followed in the menu "Scream , parameters , memory , time files." The OS will analyse the contents of the storage device and provide a list of files available for disposal, including copies of Windows updates, image sketches, Cache DirectX and system services, diagnostic logs, and other data that can add up to a dozen gigabytes. Some files of the system automatically mark for disposal, part will leave it to the user. Special attention should be paid to the download folder, which may contain important data and documents.
2. Hand-held removal of temporary files. The experience of working with Windows shows that the disk cleaning tools embedded in the system leave a lot of debris unattended. These are C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Users\name_user_AppData\Local\Temp, whose contents can be safely removed. In addition, it will be useful to inspect the folder C:\Users\name_user_AppData\Roaming, which leaves many remote tails, which also makes sense to send this ballast to the basket. Work with the Directorates requires the administrator ' s rights, common sense and attention to the details. It will also be useful in setting the Windows conductor ' s settings to activate the display of hidden files.
3. Removal of shadow copies and recovery points. Depending on Windows settings, automatically creates disk volumes, backups of system files and user documents. If the system works as a clock and the reliability of data storage is certain, these back-up copies can be deleted and thus release space on the disk. To this end, a console with administrative rights should be opened, a vssadmin list has to be entered to view a list of existing shadow copies on the storage device and then vssadmin delet Shadows /all to remove them. A similar result can be achieved by opening system security settings and clicking on the "Delete" key.
4. Cleaning of the C:\Windows\Installer folder. Few people are aware of the existence of the Installer system directory in Windows, in which the installers of the various applications store the installation files. Over time, this folder is filled with debris and spreads to incredible dimensions. Self-cleaning of this directory is problematic, so it is best to trust a free PatchCleaner that is accurate and very neat to solve this task. The application analyses the content of the Installer directorate for connection to a computer-mounted software and finds unnecessary files that can either be moved to another logical section of the disk or a larger storage device or removed without harm to the system.
5. Browser cache removal. A simple procedure that allows hundreds of megabytes to be released on a PC disk. In Google Chrome, to clean up temporary files, you have to follow the web viewer's settings, then in the "Confidentity and Security ♪ Clear History" menu, indicate the time band "All Time", then tick the item "The Images and Other Files Saved in the Cash" and click "Delete Data." In Microsoft Edge, this tool is placed in the menu "Parameters ♪ Confidentity, Search, and Services ♪ Data on Web Pages To Select Elements for Disposal", in Yandex. Brauser, in the "Construction System Clear History" window. In Firefox, this tool is placed in the menu "Parameterings of Purity, Search, Search, and Data on Web Pages to Select Elements for Disposal", in Yandex.
6. Removal of redundant records. Often, unused and long-lost user accounts of Windows, which store documents, photographs, music and other non-values but take-off files, are the reason for the computer's disk clogging. It will be possible to remove old and obsolete accounts from the section "Parameters , Family accounts and other users." This procedure is possible only if there are administrative rights in the system.
7. Disabled components of the system. Windows features many software modules that are rarely needed by users and that can be disabled to save disk space. This can be done in the section "Parameters . Application . Additional components . Other Windows. In open settings, the browser Internet Explorer 11, Windows Media, PowerShell, print, Windows Subsystem for Linux, as well as other redundant components. Deactivation of the latter is accompanied by removal from a disk of related files and libraries, as well as subsequent rebooting of LOs. If necessary, disabled software modules can then be activated -- all missing Windows files are automatically downloaded from the Internet.
8. Analysis of the content of the disk space. For this purpose, it is recommended to use the free-of-charge WinDirStat, which scans the stored files on the storage device and shows the space they occupy as a visual graphic chart, allowing for easy separation of "loads" from a vast array of data. The application helps to see a detailed picture of the use of disk memory and to identify steps to remove unnecessary files.
9. Removal of emergency memory dams. When critical errors occur in Windows accompanied by "blue screens of death", the operating system automatically saves in folder C:\Windows\Minidump memory dams that allow experienced professionals to determine the causes of malfunctions. If the computer is stable, then you can safely get rid of previously saved emergency dams -- extra files on the disk for nothing.
10. Compressing files at the file system level and Windows tools. If the actions listed above fail to achieve the desired result, then you can use the automatic compression functions of stored files. This can be done in two ways: the NTFS file system and the Comact OS function. In the first case, you have to go into the system disk properties, in the "General" tab, select the "Squeeze this disk to save space", press "Use" and wait for file processing. In the second, you have to open a console with the administrator's rights, and then check the current state of the system with the Comptact.ex/CompactOS:query command, and then enter the "compact.ex/CompactOS:always:always" to compress files in Windows and Program Files folders. Those who are lazy with the command line can use the Opensource-utilite COMPACTGUI, which is a graphic interface for system utility.compact.exe.
According to Microsoft's Outsidethebox.ms software application, Comact OS saves up to 40 per cent of the disk space. An impressive indicator! You have to understand that compressing files over the summer, both at the file system level and Windows, requires some computing resources, so you have to accept a slight deceleration in the computer. To return the standard OS settings and uncompress the NTFS, you can always take the appropriate lock in the system disk settings, and to deactivate Comact OS, you can use the compt.ex/CompactOS:never.
We hope that the recommendations we have made will be of use and benefit to all Windows users who regularly experience a lack of space on a computer disk. Our advice will be particularly relevant to the owners of net-buckets and low-cost laptops, whose producers usually use a small amount of budgetary HDD/SDD to store data and thus create a lot of headaches for computer holders. If you have anything to add to the subject matter, don't be shy — be the first to comment on the publication!